More Than 50 Teachers Monitored in Myitkyina After One Has Contact With COVID-19 Patient

Some 56 teachers have been restricted from traveling after it was found that one of them had contact with Burma’s 249th COVID-19 patient.

The teachers are currently staying at Myitkyina University’s dorm to mark the state’s matriculation exams.

“Myitkyina University provides food to these teachers. It’s not like a quarantine center. Two teachers will take the temperature of these teachers every morning. A medical worker will come to work here at the university,” Dr. Aung Win, the university’s rector, told KNG.

According to Dr. Aung Win, a total of 1,452 teachers have come to Myitkyina University since June 3 to grade the matriculation exams.

Patient 249 is a nurse and was working in Mong Kham village in Momauk (N’mawk in Kachin) Township in Kachin State’s Bhamo District. According to her travel history, she stayed at a teacher’s house in Bhamo, also Manmaw in Kachin, from May 28-May 31. The teacher is now at a Myitkyina University dormitory.

“Nasal and throat swabs from Case 249 were sent to Yangon on June 4. The Ministry of Health and Sports reported that she tested positive for COVID-19 on June 11,” Tin Naing, deputy head of Kachin State’s COVID-19 Control and Emergency Response Committee, said. “After we realized it, we did contact tracing. The teacher who received Patient 249 at his house was directly sent to Myitkyina hospital yesterday,” he explained. 

According to the travel history of the teacher, he visited Moe Seik village in Shwegu Township on June 2. Then he traveled to Myitkyina on June 3 by bus. Also on the bus were two other teachers and a soldier—they have been sent to quarantine.

According to Tin Naing, Patient 249 visited 16 locations including N’mawk (Momauk) hospital, the teacher’s home, a tailor shop, the Loije border crossing, and other nurses’ homes.

More than 10,000 people had returned to Kachin State from China through the Loije border point as of last week.

KNG tried to call the respective health departments for more information but no one answered.


Related Articles

Back to top button