Sut Seng Htoi describes the honor as being ‘for all Kachin youth who have participated in our youth movement.’
Kachin activist Sut Seng Htoi is one of the individuals given the Citizen of Burma Award for 2019 by a US-based network of volunteers and donors.
The award committee says it selects “individuals and/or organizations who are contributing their knowledge, labor, skills and resources towards social services and charities” in Burma.
Winners were announced on March 1, with a ceremony for the awardees scheduled for April 28 at the Mandalay Convention Center in Mandalay.
“I am so happy for the world's recognition and honoring of our efforts. I can say that this award is not only honoring me but also it's for all Kachin youth who have participated in our youth movement,” Sut Seng Htoi told KNG.
Sut Seng Htoi is an activist focused on issues concerning youth and internally displaced people. She works on educational and social development at the community level.
“If we love our ethnic people, we have to spend time on them. I would like to request that elders not criticize youth, but work together with youth for our future development,” she explained.
Along with Sut Seng Htoi, former police officer U Moe Yan Naing, the Mandalay Municipal Committee, teacher Daw Ei Ei Nyein and the Clean Yangon Campaign also won awards.
- Burma Army, KIA Clash in Muse District (News) 22 Apr 2019
- Burma Army and KIA clashes in N.Shan State (KNG TV) 20 Apr 2019
- More KIA, Burma Army Clashes Reported in Northern Shan State (News) 20 Apr 2019
- At Least Two Dead as Storm Sweeps through Hpakant (News) 20 Apr 2019
- Gurkha Doctors Provide Healthcare to Kachin IDPs (News) 18 Apr 2019