Kachin Baptists gathered to honour the arrival of Baptism to Sadon.
Kachin celebrated a century of Christianity at Bum Wa village in the sub-township of Sadon in Kachin State, in Myanmar. Sumlut Nawng Lat, a Kachin school teacher, was the first Baptist missionary in Sadon. At a time when the country was still under British rule, he started a congregation on March 19, 1919.
"This is a very special occasion for us. I want to see unity among ethnic brothers and sisters in Sadon sub-township, which is why we are having this celebration. May God bless all members of the churches!" said Labya La Wawm, head of the anniversary organizational committee.
Congregations from twelve local Baptist churches in Sadon area held special programs for the three-day celebration. It attracted over 2,000 visitors to honour the arrival of Baptism in the area located close to Myitkyina, the capital of Kachin State.
The Kachin Baptist Church is the largest Kachin association in Myanmar with about 400,000 members, mainly in Kachin and northern Shan states.
- Burma Army, KIA Clash in Muse District (News) 22 Apr 2019
- Burma Army and KIA clashes in N.Shan State (KNG TV) 20 Apr 2019
- More KIA, Burma Army Clashes Reported in Northern Shan State (News) 20 Apr 2019
- At Least Two Dead as Storm Sweeps through Hpakant (News) 20 Apr 2019
- Gurkha Doctors Provide Healthcare to Kachin IDPs (News) 18 Apr 2019