The Kachin Democratic Institute (KDI) opened its first learning center in the state capital of Myitkyina on Tuesday.
The center marks KDI’s fourth anniversary, and its launch was attended by Kachin religious and political leaders and civil society representatives.
Dr. Hkan Naw, KDI’s director, said that the learning center will be primarily used as a facility to educate youth leaders, as well as a platform for Kachin people to explore solutions to political and rights issues.
"We will have a youth empowerment program. We will train our youth to shape our future. We will teach them economics, politics, etc. We will work together,” he told Kachin News Group.
KDI was formed in 2015 and previously delivered trainings on democracy and federalism throughout northern Kachin State.
Last year, KDI published a draft of the Kachin State federal constitution in Burmese and formed the Kachin State Federal Constitution Drafting Committee
- Kachin State Govt Permits Gold Mining in Six Townships (News) 21 Feb 2019
- ‘We Cannot Grow Plants on Disposable Stones’: Indigenous Rights Group Forms in Jade-Rich Hpakant (News) 20 Feb 2019
- Meeting Between Burma Govt, Northern Alliance Postponed (News) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (KNG TV) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (News) 19 Feb 2019