The Kachin Democratic Institute (KDI) opened its first learning center in the state capital of Myitkyina on Tuesday.
The center marks KDI’s fourth anniversary, and its launch was attended by Kachin religious and political leaders and civil society representatives.
Dr. Hkan Naw, KDI’s director, said that the learning center will be primarily used as a facility to educate youth leaders, as well as a platform for Kachin people to explore solutions to political and rights issues.
"We will have a youth empowerment program. We will train our youth to shape our future. We will teach them economics, politics, etc. We will work together,” he told Kachin News Group.
KDI was formed in 2015 and previously delivered trainings on democracy and federalism throughout northern Kachin State.
Last year, KDI published a draft of the Kachin State federal constitution in Burmese and formed the Kachin State Federal Constitution Drafting Committee
- Burma Army, KIA Clash in Muse District (News) 22 Apr 2019
- Burma Army and KIA clashes in N.Shan State (KNG TV) 20 Apr 2019
- More KIA, Burma Army Clashes Reported in Northern Shan State (News) 20 Apr 2019
- At Least Two Dead as Storm Sweeps through Hpakant (News) 20 Apr 2019
- Gurkha Doctors Provide Healthcare to Kachin IDPs (News) 18 Apr 2019