Skirmishes broke out between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army in two areas yesterday morning (24 January).An official from KIA Brigade 6 confirmed to KNG that the two armies clashes in Kawng Wai, which is under the control of KIA Battalion 36 under Brigade 6 in northern Shan State.
The Burma Army’s Infantry Battalion 261, which was marching from Gaung Yi Stream, and KIA Battalion 6 under Brigade 2 also fought fiercely in Phayar Taung of Nam Si Yang near Kar Mai on Mogaung-Hpa-kant Road, according to local residents.
Over 100 military vehicles, which were covered in plastic and believed to be carrying artilleries, departed from Myitkyina to Putao on Sunday.
Local military observers said the Burma Army is preparing to launch an offensive against KIA Brigade 1 in Putao District.
- Nippon Foundation to Provide Assistance for Kachin IDP Return (News) 15 Feb 2019
- Rev. Dr. Hkalam Samson: IDP Return Must Not Be Rushed or Militarized (Interview) 15 Feb 2019
- Families of Imprisoned Kachin Youth Leaders Accept Awards on Their Behalf (News) 14 Feb 2019
- Imprisoned Youth Leaders Receive Kachin Human Rights Award (News) 12 Feb 2019
- State Minister: Jade Pickers Must ‘Take Care of Themselves’ (News) 12 Feb 2019