Skirmishes broke out between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army in two areas yesterday morning (24 January).An official from KIA Brigade 6 confirmed to KNG that the two armies clashes in Kawng Wai, which is under the control of KIA Battalion 36 under Brigade 6 in northern Shan State.
The Burma Army’s Infantry Battalion 261, which was marching from Gaung Yi Stream, and KIA Battalion 6 under Brigade 2 also fought fiercely in Phayar Taung of Nam Si Yang near Kar Mai on Mogaung-Hpa-kant Road, according to local residents.
Over 100 military vehicles, which were covered in plastic and believed to be carrying artilleries, departed from Myitkyina to Putao on Sunday.
Local military observers said the Burma Army is preparing to launch an offensive against KIA Brigade 1 in Putao District.
- Kachin people prepare for second session of 21st Century Panglong Conference (News) 27 Jan 2017
- Detained Kachin pastors transferred to Muse Police Station (News) 26 Jan 2017
- Skirmishes break out between Burma Army and KIA in two areas (News) 25 Jan 2017
- PJS to restart opium eradication this year (News) 24 Jan 2017
- Burma army transports large supply to Putao (News) 23 Jan 2017