The Burma Army launched air strikes on the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 3 Lai Hpawng Post, near Gidon, on 19 December.The Burma Army started attacking the post with heavy artillery at noon and then launched at lest six airstrikes with two fighter jets according to the KIA’s frontline news.
Later, at 4pm, Burma Army troops assaulted the post.
Lai Hpawng Post is located to the east of the Myitkyina-Bhamo Road in Waingmaw Township near to KIA Mobile Battalion 252’s strategic Gidon Post, which was seized by the Burma Army on 16 December.
The Burma Army has been launching offensives against the Gidon and Lai Hpawng posts since August before finally overrunning Gidon Post on 16 December.
The Burma Army and the KIA have been fighting nearly every day in the KIA controlled areas of Kachin State and northern Shan State.
- Hpakant road closed for 3 hours after Burma army’s artillery fire (News) 18 May 2017
- Child killed, two girls injured in Kachin landmine blast (News) 24 Apr 2017
- Around 100 Burmese military vehicles march to northern Shan State (News) 24 Apr 2017
- Kachin people prepare for second session of 21st Century Panglong Conference (News) 27 Jan 2017
- Detained Kachin pastors transferred to Muse Police Station (News) 26 Jan 2017