The Burma Army launched air strikes on the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 3 Lai Hpawng Post, near Gidon, on 19 December.The Burma Army started attacking the post with heavy artillery at noon and then launched at lest six airstrikes with two fighter jets according to the KIA’s frontline news.
Later, at 4pm, Burma Army troops assaulted the post.
Lai Hpawng Post is located to the east of the Myitkyina-Bhamo Road in Waingmaw Township near to KIA Mobile Battalion 252’s strategic Gidon Post, which was seized by the Burma Army on 16 December.
The Burma Army has been launching offensives against the Gidon and Lai Hpawng posts since August before finally overrunning Gidon Post on 16 December.
The Burma Army and the KIA have been fighting nearly every day in the KIA controlled areas of Kachin State and northern Shan State.
- Kachin State Govt Permits Gold Mining in Six Townships (News) 21 Feb 2019
- ‘We Cannot Grow Plants on Disposable Stones’: Indigenous Rights Group Forms in Jade-Rich Hpakant (News) 20 Feb 2019
- Meeting Between Burma Govt, Northern Alliance Postponed (News) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (KNG TV) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (News) 19 Feb 2019