The Burma Army launched air strikes on the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 3 Lai Hpawng Post, near Gidon, on 19 December.The Burma Army started attacking the post with heavy artillery at noon and then launched at lest six airstrikes with two fighter jets according to the KIA’s frontline news.
Later, at 4pm, Burma Army troops assaulted the post.
Lai Hpawng Post is located to the east of the Myitkyina-Bhamo Road in Waingmaw Township near to KIA Mobile Battalion 252’s strategic Gidon Post, which was seized by the Burma Army on 16 December.
The Burma Army has been launching offensives against the Gidon and Lai Hpawng posts since August before finally overrunning Gidon Post on 16 December.
The Burma Army and the KIA have been fighting nearly every day in the KIA controlled areas of Kachin State and northern Shan State.
- Burma army transports large supply to Putao (News) 23 Jan 2017
- Burma Army Launches Air Strike Against KIA Post near Gidon (News) 20 Dec 2016
- Burma Army Allegedly Bomb Roman Catholic Church in Mongkoe (News) 15 Dec 2016
- Burmese Government Blocks Kachin Workshop in Myitkyina (News) 2 Dec 2016
- Anti-KIO Protest Held in Myitkyina (News) 3 Nov 2016