Residents of Mytkyina, the Kachin State capital, and Tanai staged demonstrations on 3 October to protest against the ongoing Burma Army offensives against the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) in northern Kachin State.
The protest march at Tanai took place as planned, but in Myitkyina the protest was only held at the Manau Ground because the authorities stopped the protesters from going out on to the streets according to protest organisers.
At the two protests the protesters called on the Burma Army to immediately halt its offensives in northern Kachin State and to halt human rights abuses it is committing within those conflict areas.
The protesters also denounced the army for preventing aid from reaching internally displaced persons (IDPs) in camps and for preventing inspectors from going to the camps to check on the conditions there.
Thousands of people attended the Myitkyina protest and hundreds of people attended the Tanai protest.
Local police from Myitkyina said that action would be taken against the Kachin National Consultative Assembly (KNCA) who organised the protest because they did not apply for permission to hold the protest five days before the Myitkyina protest, said the KNCA’s Daw Nang Pu.
Despite this there are still plans to hold another protest in Myitkyina on 6 October.
Since last month (September 2016) the Burma Army has been launching land and air offensives against KIA strongholds using helicopter gunships, aircraft and large numbers of ground troops.
President U Htin Kyaw’s administration and State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi have not responded to, or made any comments about, the army’s offensives in Kachin State and fighting between the army and other ethnic armed groups in the northern areas of Burma.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- KIA တပ္မဟာ (၁) ေရွ႕တန္း စခန္းငယ္ (၁)ခု ျမန္မာအစိုးရတပ္ သိမ္းပိုက္ (News) 15 Nov 2018
- ေျမယာ သိမ္းပိုက္မႈျဖစ္ေစေသာ အစိုးရ ဥပေဒကို တိုင္းရင္းသားမ်ား ကန္႔ကြက္ (News) 14 Nov 2018
- ဆဒုံ Chyinghtawng Pa ေကာက္သစ္စား ပြဲေတာ္ကို ၾကီးက်ယ္ခမ္းနားစြာ က်င္းပ (News) 13 Nov 2018
- တရားမ၀င္ ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတူးေဖာ္သူ မ်ားလာျခင္းကိစၥ ဖားကန္႔အုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရး႐ုံး သို႔ တင္ျပ (News) 10 Nov 2018
- Kachin State Party မွတ္ပုံတင္ရန္ ေရြးေကာက္ပြဲ ေကာ္မရွင္ ခြင့္ျပဳလိုက္ၿပီ (News) 9 Nov 2018