The Burma Army continued offensives against the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 9 this Sunday in northern Shan State despite that the armed group's political wing, the Kachin Independence Organisation (KIO), will soon be joining them at the table this Wednesday during the Union Peace Conference (also called 21st Century Panglong Conference).
Some KIO leaders have already left for Naypyidaw to attend the conference under the United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC); an ethnic alliance that the Kachin armed group is a member of.
Lt-Col Naw Bu, KIO spokesperson, said two columns of Burma Army’s Light Infantry Battalion 99 (LID-99) attacked KIA Battalion 9, under Brigade 4, in Hu Long Mountain just east of Na Hpai.
The Burma Army also reportedly launched offensives on Sunday on ceasefire group Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army – North’s (SSPP/SSA-N) Wan Hai headquarters, also located in northern Shan State.
- ကခ်င္ဒုကၡသည္ ပုံကို ‘အပန္းေျဖ ဆင္စခန္း’ အျဖစ္ တပ္မေတာ္ ပုံႏွိပ္ (News) 21 May 2018
- Kachin villagers tell of army horrors in Hpakant, Danai and Injangyang Townships (News) 18 May 2018
- ယုဇနကုမၸဏီႏွင့္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ၾကား ေျမယာအေရး ျပႆနာ ထပ္ျဖစ္ (News) 17 May 2018
- "ဗံုးၾကဲခံရ၊ သတ္ျဖတ္ခံရတာေတြေၾကာင့္" (Interview) 16 May 2018
- စစ္ေရွာင္ လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး ဆႏၵျပ ဦးေဆာင္ လူငယ္ (၃)ဦး အမွႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 May 2018