The Burma Army continued offensives against the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Battalion 9 this Sunday in northern Shan State despite that the armed group's political wing, the Kachin Independence Organisation (KIO), will soon be joining them at the table this Wednesday during the Union Peace Conference (also called 21st Century Panglong Conference).
Some KIO leaders have already left for Naypyidaw to attend the conference under the United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC); an ethnic alliance that the Kachin armed group is a member of.
Lt-Col Naw Bu, KIO spokesperson, said two columns of Burma Army’s Light Infantry Battalion 99 (LID-99) attacked KIA Battalion 9, under Brigade 4, in Hu Long Mountain just east of Na Hpai.
The Burma Army also reportedly launched offensives on Sunday on ceasefire group Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army – North’s (SSPP/SSA-N) Wan Hai headquarters, also located in northern Shan State.
- Burma army transports large supply to Putao (News) 23 Jan 2017
- Burma Army Launches Air Strike Against KIA Post near Gidon (News) 20 Dec 2016
- Burma Army Allegedly Bomb Roman Catholic Church in Mongkoe (News) 15 Dec 2016
- Burmese Government Blocks Kachin Workshop in Myitkyina (News) 2 Dec 2016
- Anti-KIO Protest Held in Myitkyina (News) 3 Nov 2016