A skirmish broke out between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) near the armed group’s Laiza headquarters on 7 August.After the Burma Army sent troops from the Shadan Pa banana plantation in Nam San Yang to Bandawng Kahtawng on the Myitkyina-Bhamo Road—on the way to Laiza—fighting started in Ja Ing Yang at 3 pm, lasting one hour.
According to an unconfirmed news report, a Burma Army lieutenant was killed and 9 government soldiers sustained injuries from the clash.
After the new National League for Democracy government took office in April the Burma Army launched a series of offensives to clear KIA troops from between the Irrawaddy River and Myitkyina-Bhamo Road in Waingmaw Township in eastern Kachin State.
- Kachin State Govt Permits Gold Mining in Six Townships (News) 21 Feb 2019
- ‘We Cannot Grow Plants on Disposable Stones’: Indigenous Rights Group Forms in Jade-Rich Hpakant (News) 20 Feb 2019
- Meeting Between Burma Govt, Northern Alliance Postponed (News) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (KNG TV) 19 Feb 2019
- Dead Fish Raise Concerns of Contaminated Water in Waingmaw (News) 19 Feb 2019