A skirmish broke out between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) near the armed group’s Laiza headquarters on 7 August.After the Burma Army sent troops from the Shadan Pa banana plantation in Nam San Yang to Bandawng Kahtawng on the Myitkyina-Bhamo Road—on the way to Laiza—fighting started in Ja Ing Yang at 3 pm, lasting one hour.
According to an unconfirmed news report, a Burma Army lieutenant was killed and 9 government soldiers sustained injuries from the clash.
After the new National League for Democracy government took office in April the Burma Army launched a series of offensives to clear KIA troops from between the Irrawaddy River and Myitkyina-Bhamo Road in Waingmaw Township in eastern Kachin State.
- Burma army transports large supply to Putao (News) 23 Jan 2017
- Burma Army Launches Air Strike Against KIA Post near Gidon (News) 20 Dec 2016
- Burma Army Allegedly Bomb Roman Catholic Church in Mongkoe (News) 15 Dec 2016
- Burmese Government Blocks Kachin Workshop in Myitkyina (News) 2 Dec 2016
- Anti-KIO Protest Held in Myitkyina (News) 3 Nov 2016