The Kachin National Congress (KNC) recently held a Kachin National Public Forum in Kachin State capital Myitkyina to select individuals to serve as representatives for their community.Around 500 people attended the public forum, including representatives of the six ethnic Kachin tribes and civil society and youth organizations.
Dr Kawn La said during the public forum they chose representatives to work in six main sectors. These sectors include politics, security, economic, social, environmental protection and land.
Twelve representatives were chosen to be negotiators with the central Burma government. Among these, three will attend the 21st Century Panglong Conference led by State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The remaining representatives will serve as technical advisors.
Some of the groups that were invited refused to attend because they didn’t regard it as a genuine Kachin public forum.
Translated by Thida Linn
Reporting by Nawng Nawng for KNG
Edited by BNI staff
- One-Hundred Years Of Christianity Celebrated In Kachin State (News) 21 Mar 2019
- Company Charges Journalists With Defamation (News) 19 Mar 2019
- March 18, 2019 KNG TV News (KNG TV) 18 Mar 2019
- Hailstone Storm Strikes Kachin State (News) 18 Mar 2019
- Hailstone Storm Strikes Kachin State (KNG TV) 18 Mar 2019