Three Kachin political parties have agreed to merge. The Kachin State Democracy Party (KSDP), the Kachin National Congress for Democracy (KNCD), and the Kachin Democratic Party (KDP) prepared for the merger during a recent meeting in state capital Myitkyina.
KDP leader U Gumgrawng Awng Hkam told Kachin News that during the meeting a 15-member executive committee was formed with five members from each party to carry out the parties’ unification.
During the 2015 General Election the Kachin People’s Voice Group (Hpakant Township) advised Kachin political parties to unite to prevent vote dispersion. The KDP agreed but the other two parties rejected it resulting in the National League for Democracy (NLD) winning.
U Gumgrawng Awng Hkam said the Kachin parties decided to unite not to win in future elections but because leaders now recognize the importance of unification.
Two other Kachin parties, The Lisu National Development Party and the Lhaovo National Unity and Development Party held informal talks to discuss about joining the merge.
- ကခ်င္ဒုကၡသည္ ပုံကို ‘အပန္းေျဖ ဆင္စခန္း’ အျဖစ္ တပ္မေတာ္ ပုံႏွိပ္ (News) 21 May 2018
- Kachin villagers tell of army horrors in Hpakant, Danai and Injangyang Townships (News) 18 May 2018
- ယုဇနကုမၸဏီႏွင့္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ၾကား ေျမယာအေရး ျပႆနာ ထပ္ျဖစ္ (News) 17 May 2018
- "ဗံုးၾကဲခံရ၊ သတ္ျဖတ္ခံရတာေတြေၾကာင့္" (Interview) 16 May 2018
- စစ္ေရွာင္ လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး ဆႏၵျပ ဦးေဆာင္ လူငယ္ (၃)ဦး အမွႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 May 2018