Heavy clashes broke out between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army's (KIA) Battalion 12 in Nam Hpu in Mansi Township in southern Kachin State on March 27th, the Kachin news group has learned.
Reached for comment Lt-Col Naw Bu from the Kachin Independence Organization's (KIO) Laiza headquarters confirmed that the clashes had taken place. He said the clashes were not the result of an offensive by either side instead the fighting was a result of the KIA forces and their foes from the Tatmadaw “encountering” each other.
According to local residents, the battle took place between the KIA and a joint team of the Burma Army’s Bhamo based Infantry Battalion 237 and Mongmit based Infantry Battalion 276. Casualty figures from both sides are still unknown at this point.
While the KIA and the Burma Army have been fighting nearly every day in KIA Brigade 4 and 6 in northern Shan State in recent months, clashes in Kachin State have not been very common as of late.
Hostilities between the KIA and the Burmese army resumed in June 2011 following the collapse of a 17-year ceasefire. The conflict has displaced more than 100,000 people.
Translated by Thida Linn with editing by BNI staff.
- တရားမ၀င္ ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတူးေဖာ္သူ မ်ားလာျခင္းကိစၥ ဖားကန္႔အုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရး႐ုံး သို႔ တင္ျပ (News) 10 Nov 2018
- Kachin State Party မွတ္ပုံတင္ရန္ ေရြးေကာက္ပြဲ ေကာ္မရွင္ ခြင့္ျပဳလိုက္ၿပီ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- လီဆူေရးရာ ၀န္ၾကီး ဖားကန္႔ ေက်ာက္မ်က္လုပ္ငန္းရွင္မ်ား အသင္းႏွင့္ ေတြ႕ဆုံ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- ကခ်င္ျပည္နယ္ နယ္လုံ ၀န္ၾကီး အေျပာင္းလဲ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018
- ဟူးေကာင္း ရြာသားမ်ား ကိုယ္ပိုင္ ကၽြဲ၊ ႏြား စားက်ယ္ေျမမ်ား သတ္မွတ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018