There was a skirmish between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) at Sisi Wong Hill in northern Shan State on the evening of 24 March.
Sisi Wong Hill, also known as Da Bang Bum in the Kachin language, is between Namtaung and Mongbaw. In the past it has been under the control of the Burma Communist Party (BCP).
The Kachin Independence Army (KIA) Battalion 37, a new battalion under the command of Regiment 6, attacked troops from Burma Army Light Infantry Division (LID) 99 as they were marching from Namtaung to Mongbaw.
A KIA official from Regiment 6 told the KNG that both sides exchanged fire for a short period of time and that at least seven Burma Army soldiers were killed or injured.
According to KNG’s investigations, over 3,000 Burma Army troops have been deployed in northern Shan State since the Burmese government strongly objected to the reorganisation of KIA Regiment 6 at the end of February.
Five of the ten Burma Army light infantry divisions, LIDs 11, 55, 66, 88 and 99 have started carrying out military operations in the areas of Mongkoe, Mongbaw, Pang Hseng (Kyu Koke), and Mongsi, which are currently under the control of KIA Regiment 6.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- ‘ဘဝမ်ားႏွင့္ရင္းေသာေက်ာက္စိမ္း’ သတင္းစာ ရွင္းလင္းပြဲ ျမစ္ၾကီးနားတြင္ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ယေန႔ ျမန္မာအစိုးရ ႏွင့္ KIO တို႔ ခ်င္းမိုင္တြင္ ေတြ႕ဆုံမည္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ကေလး အခြင့္အေရးဆိုင္ရာ ၁ပတ္ သင္တန္း ဟူးေကာင္းေဒသမွာ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ျမိဳ႕နယ္ Hupa မွာ ျမန္မာအစိုးရတပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တပ္ရင္း (၆) တိုက္ပြဲ ျဖစ္ပြား (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ေျမျပိဳမႈေၾကာင့္ ေသဆံုး ဒဏ္ရာရသူမ်ား ကုိ အစုိးရမွ မကူညီေသး (News) 17 Jul 2018