There was a skirmish between the Burma Army and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) at Sisi Wong Hill in northern Shan State on the evening of 24 March.
Sisi Wong Hill, also known as Da Bang Bum in the Kachin language, is between Namtaung and Mongbaw. In the past it has been under the control of the Burma Communist Party (BCP).
The Kachin Independence Army (KIA) Battalion 37, a new battalion under the command of Regiment 6, attacked troops from Burma Army Light Infantry Division (LID) 99 as they were marching from Namtaung to Mongbaw.
A KIA official from Regiment 6 told the KNG that both sides exchanged fire for a short period of time and that at least seven Burma Army soldiers were killed or injured.
According to KNG’s investigations, over 3,000 Burma Army troops have been deployed in northern Shan State since the Burmese government strongly objected to the reorganisation of KIA Regiment 6 at the end of February.
Five of the ten Burma Army light infantry divisions, LIDs 11, 55, 66, 88 and 99 have started carrying out military operations in the areas of Mongkoe, Mongbaw, Pang Hseng (Kyu Koke), and Mongsi, which are currently under the control of KIA Regiment 6.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- ကခ်င္ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ားကို ကယ္ထုတ္ရန္ အသင္းေတာ္ ၾကိဳးပမ္း ေန (News) 14 Apr 2018
- ျမန္မာစစ္တပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တိုက္ပြဲတြင္ ရြာသား ၁ ဦး ေသဆုံး၊ ၁ ဦး ထိခိုက္ (News) 13 Apr 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ ၏ Awng Lawt ထိုးစစ္ေၾကာင့္ ေဒသခံ ျပည္သူ ၂၀၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ပိတ္မိေန (News) 12 Apr 2018
- တုိက္ပြဲေၾကာင့္ အင္းေတာ္ၾကီးအိုင္ ေဒသ ရြာသား ၂၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ထြက္ေျပး (News) 12 Apr 2018
- ကခ်င္ပါတီေပါင္းစည္းေရးမွာ USDP ပါတီနဲ႔ မဟာမိတ္ပ်က္ခဲ့တဲ့ UDPKS မေနာတုိင္ပါတီ ပါဝင္လာ (News) 12 Apr 2018