Troops from the Burmese government’s Border Guard Force (BGF) injured three members of the unarmed Pat Ja San (PJS) opium eradication team when they attacked them on the morning of 25 February.
According to PJS leaders the PJS group was travelling to Kampaiti in Kachin State. They told Kachin News Group (KNG) that the group had just passed the Shingchyai BGF camp and was in Wut Maw Village when they encountered mines and gunfire at about 9am.
The Kachin State Police Officers who were guarding the PJS group ran away during the attack.
In the past BGF forces have destroyed and robbed the rations of PJS groups, said PJS leaders.
But, this is the first time that BGF forces have attacked PJS groups since hundreds of PJS members arrived to destroy poppy farms under the control of the New Democracy Army – Kachin (NDA-K) Border Guard Forces led by U Zahkung Ting Ying.
Previously PJS members had tried to go to the Kampaiti area but the Burma Army prevented them from going into NDA-K/BGF controlled territory for a week by blocking them at several places along the way to Kampaiti, including near to the Warshaung Gate on the Chipwi to Sadon Road.
Then, on 23 February thousands of PJS supporters gathered at Warshaung Gate to show their support for the PJS eradication teams when they again set of for Kampaiti.
Leaders of religious organisations have also helped to lead the PJS opium eradication project.
KNG will update this story soon.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- တပ္မေတာ္ ထိုးစစ္ ရပ္စဲထားေသာ္လည္း KIO ႏွင့္ေဆြးေႏြးရန္ ျငင္းဆန္ (News) 18 Jan 2019
- Jinghpaw Academy ဦး Bum Yun မွ ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတုံးၾကီး လက္ေဆာင္ေပး (News) 16 Jan 2019
- Mai Ja Yang တ႐ုတ္-ျမန္မာ နယ္စပ္ လမ္းမေပၚ တ႐ုတ္ ျခံစည္းကာရန္ ေျမတူး (News) 15 Jan 2019
- ျမစ္ၾကီးနား Awng Lawt စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ား ေနရာသစ္ကို ေျပာင္းမည္ (News) 15 Jan 2019
- ျမစ္ဆုံကိစၥ တ႐ုတ္သံ႐ုံး ထုတ္ျပန္ခ်က္ေပၚ ကခ်င္ပူးေပါင္းပါတီ တရား၀င္ ကန္႔ကြက္ (News) 14 Jan 2019