Troops from the Burmese government’s Border Guard Force (BGF) injured three members of the unarmed Pat Ja San (PJS) opium eradication team when they attacked them on the morning of 25 February.
According to PJS leaders the PJS group was travelling to Kampaiti in Kachin State. They told Kachin News Group (KNG) that the group had just passed the Shingchyai BGF camp and was in Wut Maw Village when they encountered mines and gunfire at about 9am.
The Kachin State Police Officers who were guarding the PJS group ran away during the attack.
In the past BGF forces have destroyed and robbed the rations of PJS groups, said PJS leaders.
But, this is the first time that BGF forces have attacked PJS groups since hundreds of PJS members arrived to destroy poppy farms under the control of the New Democracy Army – Kachin (NDA-K) Border Guard Forces led by U Zahkung Ting Ying.
Previously PJS members had tried to go to the Kampaiti area but the Burma Army prevented them from going into NDA-K/BGF controlled territory for a week by blocking them at several places along the way to Kampaiti, including near to the Warshaung Gate on the Chipwi to Sadon Road.
Then, on 23 February thousands of PJS supporters gathered at Warshaung Gate to show their support for the PJS eradication teams when they again set of for Kampaiti.
Leaders of religious organisations have also helped to lead the PJS opium eradication project.
KNG will update this story soon.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- မူဆယ္ ျမန္မာနယ္နိမိတ္ဘက္ကုိ တရုတ္ႏုိင္ငံမွ ထပ္မံ က်ဴးေက်ာ္ (News) 17 Oct 2018
- အေရြးခံမည့္ ကိုယ္စားလွယ္ေလာင္း (၃)ဦး ႏွင့္ ကခ်င္လူငယ္မ်ား ေတြ႔ဆုံမည္ (News) 17 Oct 2018
- တပ္နဲ႔အစိုးရ ဖယ္ဒရယ္ကိစၥ အဆင္သင့္ မရိွေသး (KNG TV) 16 Oct 2018
- ေဝဖန္ခံရသည့္ ‘Marit ai Maumwi Mausa’ ဗီြဒီယို ကိစၥ ကခ်င္အႏုပညာရွင္ အသင္းခ်ဳပ္ႏွင့္ ေတြ႔ဆုံ ေမးျမန္းျခင္း (Interview) 16 Oct 2018
- ျမစ္ၾကီးနား ညေစ်းတန္းသစ္ တြင္ ေရာင္းမေကာင္း (News) 16 Oct 2018