Troops from the Burmese government’s Border Guard Force (BGF) injured three members of the unarmed Pat Ja San (PJS) opium eradication team when they attacked them on the morning of 25 February.
According to PJS leaders the PJS group was travelling to Kampaiti in Kachin State. They told Kachin News Group (KNG) that the group had just passed the Shingchyai BGF camp and was in Wut Maw Village when they encountered mines and gunfire at about 9am.
The Kachin State Police Officers who were guarding the PJS group ran away during the attack.
In the past BGF forces have destroyed and robbed the rations of PJS groups, said PJS leaders.
But, this is the first time that BGF forces have attacked PJS groups since hundreds of PJS members arrived to destroy poppy farms under the control of the New Democracy Army – Kachin (NDA-K) Border Guard Forces led by U Zahkung Ting Ying.
Previously PJS members had tried to go to the Kampaiti area but the Burma Army prevented them from going into NDA-K/BGF controlled territory for a week by blocking them at several places along the way to Kampaiti, including near to the Warshaung Gate on the Chipwi to Sadon Road.
Then, on 23 February thousands of PJS supporters gathered at Warshaung Gate to show their support for the PJS eradication teams when they again set of for Kampaiti.
Leaders of religious organisations have also helped to lead the PJS opium eradication project.
KNG will update this story soon.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- ‘ဘဝမ်ားႏွင့္ရင္းေသာေက်ာက္စိမ္း’ သတင္းစာ ရွင္းလင္းပြဲ ျမစ္ၾကီးနားတြင္ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ယေန႔ ျမန္မာအစိုးရ ႏွင့္ KIO တို႔ ခ်င္းမိုင္တြင္ ေတြ႕ဆုံမည္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ကေလး အခြင့္အေရးဆိုင္ရာ ၁ပတ္ သင္တန္း ဟူးေကာင္းေဒသမွာ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ျမိဳ႕နယ္ Hupa မွာ ျမန္မာအစိုးရတပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တပ္ရင္း (၆) တိုက္ပြဲ ျဖစ္ပြား (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ေျမျပိဳမႈေၾကာင့္ ေသဆံုး ဒဏ္ရာရသူမ်ား ကုိ အစုိးရမွ မကူညီေသး (News) 17 Jul 2018