Troops from the Burmese government’s Border Guard Force (BGF) injured three members of the unarmed Pat Ja San (PJS) opium eradication team when they attacked them on the morning of 25 February.
According to PJS leaders the PJS group was travelling to Kampaiti in Kachin State. They told Kachin News Group (KNG) that the group had just passed the Shingchyai BGF camp and was in Wut Maw Village when they encountered mines and gunfire at about 9am.
The Kachin State Police Officers who were guarding the PJS group ran away during the attack.
In the past BGF forces have destroyed and robbed the rations of PJS groups, said PJS leaders.
But, this is the first time that BGF forces have attacked PJS groups since hundreds of PJS members arrived to destroy poppy farms under the control of the New Democracy Army – Kachin (NDA-K) Border Guard Forces led by U Zahkung Ting Ying.
Previously PJS members had tried to go to the Kampaiti area but the Burma Army prevented them from going into NDA-K/BGF controlled territory for a week by blocking them at several places along the way to Kampaiti, including near to the Warshaung Gate on the Chipwi to Sadon Road.
Then, on 23 February thousands of PJS supporters gathered at Warshaung Gate to show their support for the PJS eradication teams when they again set of for Kampaiti.
Leaders of religious organisations have also helped to lead the PJS opium eradication project.
KNG will update this story soon.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- ကခ်င္ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ားကို ကယ္ထုတ္ရန္ အသင္းေတာ္ ၾကိဳးပမ္း ေန (News) 14 Apr 2018
- ျမန္မာစစ္တပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တိုက္ပြဲတြင္ ရြာသား ၁ ဦး ေသဆုံး၊ ၁ ဦး ထိခိုက္ (News) 13 Apr 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ ၏ Awng Lawt ထိုးစစ္ေၾကာင့္ ေဒသခံ ျပည္သူ ၂၀၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ပိတ္မိေန (News) 12 Apr 2018
- တုိက္ပြဲေၾကာင့္ အင္းေတာ္ၾကီးအိုင္ ေဒသ ရြာသား ၂၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ထြက္ေျပး (News) 12 Apr 2018
- ကခ်င္ပါတီေပါင္းစည္းေရးမွာ USDP ပါတီနဲ႔ မဟာမိတ္ပ်က္ခဲ့တဲ့ UDPKS မေနာတုိင္ပါတီ ပါဝင္လာ (News) 12 Apr 2018