The Burma Army is preparing to launch a large military offensive codenamed ‘Operation Moe Pyar’ (Operation Sky-Blue) against the Kachin Independence Army’s (KIA) Sixth Brigade in northern Shan State according to Sixth Brigade officials.
A senior military official from the KIA’s Sixth Brigade told Kachin News Group (KNG) that over 2,000 Burma Army soldiers including the 66th and 99th Light Infantry Divisions have arrived in Mong Ko where KIA Sixth brigade headquarters are located.
According to the Sixth Brigade officials the Burma Army has been increasing the number of its troops in the area ever since the Union Peace-Making Working Committee (UPWC) issued a letter on 29 February objecting to the KIA’s reinforcement of Sixth Brigade.
Local residents said that since the Restoration Council of Shan State/Shan State Army (RCSS/SSA) signed the nationwide ceasefire agreement (NCA) on 15 October 2015 they have been holding military exercises with the Burma Army in the area.
Translated by Thida Linn
Edited in English by Mark Inkey for BNI
- တရားမ၀င္ ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတူးေဖာ္သူ မ်ားလာျခင္းကိစၥ ဖားကန္႔အုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရး႐ုံး သို႔ တင္ျပ (News) 10 Nov 2018
- Kachin State Party မွတ္ပုံတင္ရန္ ေရြးေကာက္ပြဲ ေကာ္မရွင္ ခြင့္ျပဳလိုက္ၿပီ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- လီဆူေရးရာ ၀န္ၾကီး ဖားကန္႔ ေက်ာက္မ်က္လုပ္ငန္းရွင္မ်ား အသင္းႏွင့္ ေတြ႕ဆုံ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- ကခ်င္ျပည္နယ္ နယ္လုံ ၀န္ၾကီး အေျပာင္းလဲ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018
- ဟူးေကာင္း ရြာသားမ်ား ကိုယ္ပိုင္ ကၽြဲ၊ ႏြား စားက်ယ္ေျမမ်ား သတ္မွတ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018