In a statement released over the weekend the United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC), an alliance of Burma's armed ethnic groups, expressed the group's concern regarding the recent wave of fighting that has taken place in Shan and Kachin states.
Over the past few weeks government forces have used air strikes against the recently resurrected Kokang based Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA). The army also used air strikes in Kachin state against Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) positions in Mansi township last week.
In the statement Khu Oo Reh, the UNFC's general secretary, called for an immediate end to the fighting in the Kokang region, an area located in northern Shan state along the China Kachin border. The MNDAA and their leader Peng Jiasheng recently re-emerged to take up arms against the central government after being soundly defeated and driven out of Kokang in 2009.
Talks between the government's Union Peace-Making Work Committee (UPWC) and the Nationwide Ceasefire Coordination Team (NCCT), a group largely made up of UNFC members, are expected to resume this week.
- တရားမ၀င္ ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတူးေဖာ္သူ မ်ားလာျခင္းကိစၥ ဖားကန္႔အုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရး႐ုံး သို႔ တင္ျပ (News) 10 Nov 2018
- Kachin State Party မွတ္ပုံတင္ရန္ ေရြးေကာက္ပြဲ ေကာ္မရွင္ ခြင့္ျပဳလိုက္ၿပီ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- လီဆူေရးရာ ၀န္ၾကီး ဖားကန္႔ ေက်ာက္မ်က္လုပ္ငန္းရွင္မ်ား အသင္းႏွင့္ ေတြ႕ဆုံ (News) 9 Nov 2018
- ကခ်င္ျပည္နယ္ နယ္လုံ ၀န္ၾကီး အေျပာင္းလဲ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018
- ဟူးေကာင္း ရြာသားမ်ား ကိုယ္ပိုင္ ကၽြဲ၊ ႏြား စားက်ယ္ေျမမ်ား သတ္မွတ္ (News) 8 Nov 2018