During a visit to the Kachin state capital Myitkyina last week a delegation from the American Baptist Churches (ABC) organization called for Burmese government authorities to properly investigate the rape and murder last month of two Kachin teachers who were volunteering in Shan state.
The ABC delegation made this call during their meeting with the Kachin State Chief Minister, according to Rev. Dr. Hkalam Samson, the general secretary of Kachin Baptist Convention (KBC) who also attended the meeting.
According to Rev. Samson, during the meeting which lasted from 9 am to 11 am, the delegation led by Rev. Dr. Roy Medley, the general secretary of ABC asked government authorities to take steps to ensure a thorough investigation into the case which has drawn a lot of attention across Burma and around the word.
“The ABC has said that they don't want innocent people to suffer like the two teachers who were murdered” said Dr. Samson who also added that he asked the Chief Minister to ensure a fair investigation into killing of the two teachers who were volunteers from his organization. The church leaders held meetings with Chief Minister Lajawn Ngan Seng and the ministers for the legal affairs and social affairs.
During their meeting the delegation also asked that government authorities allow aid groups unrestricted access to Kachin civilians displaced by the conflict.
- ကခ်င္ဒုကၡသည္ ပုံကို ‘အပန္းေျဖ ဆင္စခန္း’ အျဖစ္ တပ္မေတာ္ ပုံႏွိပ္ (News) 21 May 2018
- Kachin villagers tell of army horrors in Hpakant, Danai and Injangyang Townships (News) 18 May 2018
- ယုဇနကုမၸဏီႏွင့္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ၾကား ေျမယာအေရး ျပႆနာ ထပ္ျဖစ္ (News) 17 May 2018
- "ဗံုးၾကဲခံရ၊ သတ္ျဖတ္ခံရတာေတြေၾကာင့္" (Interview) 16 May 2018
- စစ္ေရွာင္ လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး ဆႏၵျပ ဦးေဆာင္ လူငယ္ (၃)ဦး အမွႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 May 2018