During a visit to the Kachin state capital Myitkyina last week a delegation from the American Baptist Churches (ABC) organization called for Burmese government authorities to properly investigate the rape and murder last month of two Kachin teachers who were volunteering in Shan state.
The ABC delegation made this call during their meeting with the Kachin State Chief Minister, according to Rev. Dr. Hkalam Samson, the general secretary of Kachin Baptist Convention (KBC) who also attended the meeting.
According to Rev. Samson, during the meeting which lasted from 9 am to 11 am, the delegation led by Rev. Dr. Roy Medley, the general secretary of ABC asked government authorities to take steps to ensure a thorough investigation into the case which has drawn a lot of attention across Burma and around the word.
“The ABC has said that they don't want innocent people to suffer like the two teachers who were murdered” said Dr. Samson who also added that he asked the Chief Minister to ensure a fair investigation into killing of the two teachers who were volunteers from his organization. The church leaders held meetings with Chief Minister Lajawn Ngan Seng and the ministers for the legal affairs and social affairs.
During their meeting the delegation also asked that government authorities allow aid groups unrestricted access to Kachin civilians displaced by the conflict.
- Nippon Foundation to Provide Assistance for Kachin IDP Return (News) 15 Feb 2019
- Rev. Dr. Hkalam Samson: IDP Return Must Not Be Rushed or Militarized (Interview) 15 Feb 2019
- Families of Imprisoned Kachin Youth Leaders Accept Awards on Their Behalf (News) 14 Feb 2019
- Imprisoned Youth Leaders Receive Kachin Human Rights Award (News) 12 Feb 2019
- State Minister: Jade Pickers Must ‘Take Care of Themselves’ (News) 12 Feb 2019