Representative members of the Nationwide Ceasefire Coordination Team (NCCT), a group that includes most of Burma's armed rebel groups, say that is very unlikely that a nationwide ceasefire agreement could be reach by Union Day on February 12th.
President Thein Sein and his team from the Myanmar Peace Center have been pushing to seal a national ceasefire deal by Union Day but many of the armed groups are less enthusiastic about reaching a deal so soon.
Representatives from the NCCT and the government's negotiators from the Myanmar Peace Center (MPC) met in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai on the 21st of January. The meeting was held to prepare for an upcoming meeting between the NCCT and the government's Union Peacemaking Work Committee (UPWC).
“The negotiation are not over yet, so it is not possible to sign it on that day, we had lot of agreement in this meeting but still there are some more things left,” Pado Kywe Htoo Win, the Karen National Union's Delegate to the NCCT, told Kachinnews after the meeting wrapped on Wednesday.
According Kywe Htoo Win the NCCT proposed that several issues be discussed with the UPWC, including the November 19th attack by the army on the Kachin Independence Organization's Laiza headquarters.
Reached for comment, Nyo Ohn Myint, an MPC staff person said that a lack of agreement among the armed groups was the reason for the hold up. Originally the government proposed that the armed groups sign an agreement last December but the NCCT members needed more time.
"We re-negotiated during the meeting some disagreements relating to the draft," Nyo Ohn Myint said. The date for the next meeting has to be confirmed, according to Nyo Ohn Myint.
- ‘ဘဝမ်ားႏွင့္ရင္းေသာေက်ာက္စိမ္း’ သတင္းစာ ရွင္းလင္းပြဲ ျမစ္ၾကီးနားတြင္ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ယေန႔ ျမန္မာအစိုးရ ႏွင့္ KIO တို႔ ခ်င္းမိုင္တြင္ ေတြ႕ဆုံမည္ (News) 20 Jul 2018
- ကေလး အခြင့္အေရးဆိုင္ရာ ၁ပတ္ သင္တန္း ဟူးေကာင္းေဒသမွာ ျပဳလုပ္ (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ျမိဳ႕နယ္ Hupa မွာ ျမန္မာအစိုးရတပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တပ္ရင္း (၆) တိုက္ပြဲ ျဖစ္ပြား (News) 18 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ေျမျပိဳမႈေၾကာင့္ ေသဆံုး ဒဏ္ရာရသူမ်ား ကုိ အစုိးရမွ မကူညီေသး (News) 17 Jul 2018