The Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) held a New Year's prayer service at the group's Laiza headquarters on January 3rd. The usual Christmas and New Year events planned for the KIO area were delayed due to security concerns stemming from the recent increase in tensions with the army.
The Chief of the Laiza township administration district Col. Lawaw Naw San told the Kachinnews that the event which involved traditional dancing, singing and prayer went well. More than 1,500 people attended the event, including KIO members, local residents and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
Last month the KIO alerted everyone living in the group's territory of the risk of a possible attack from the Burma army during Christmas. Because of the these security concerns the usual large scale events planned for Christmas day were suspended across all the IDP camps located in KIO territory.
During the January 3rd event the KIO's chairman Lanyaw Zawng Hra delivered a speech in which he noted that real peace and a lasting ceasefire will only be possible through genuine political dialogue. The KIO chairman also criticized the Burma government's blocking international aid supplies to IDPs camps located in KIO territory. The government has blocked UN agencies from delivering food and other humanitarian aid to the KIO area for nearly three months. Lanyaw Zawng Hra called on people to inform the international community about the ongoing aid blockade affecting the IDP camps.
- AKYU celebrates 23rd anniversary in Myitkyina (KNG TV) 15 Aug 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ Mawmau Bum ျပည္သူပုိင္လမ္း ေရာင္းစားမႈ ေဒသခံမ်ား စိတ္မေကာင္း (News) 15 Aug 2018
- Sinlum IDP ေဘာ္ဒါ ေက်ာင္းေဆာင္ မီးေလာင္ပ်က္စီးမႈေၾကာင့္ အေရးေပၚ အကူညီ လိုအပ္ (News) 14 Aug 2018
- ျမန္မာ အစိုးရတပ္ ႏွင့္ ေျမာက္ပိုင္းမဟာမိတ္ တပ္ေပါင္းစု ၾကား တိုက္ပြဲ ျပင္းထန္ (News) 14 Aug 2018
- ဆႏၵျပ လူငယ္ေခါင္းေဆာင္ (၃)ဦးအမႈ တရားလုိ သက္ေသ အစစ္ခံရန္ ပ်က္ကြက္ (News) 13 Aug 2018