The Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) held a New Year's prayer service at the group's Laiza headquarters on January 3rd. The usual Christmas and New Year events planned for the KIO area were delayed due to security concerns stemming from the recent increase in tensions with the army.
The Chief of the Laiza township administration district Col. Lawaw Naw San told the Kachinnews that the event which involved traditional dancing, singing and prayer went well. More than 1,500 people attended the event, including KIO members, local residents and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
Last month the KIO alerted everyone living in the group's territory of the risk of a possible attack from the Burma army during Christmas. Because of the these security concerns the usual large scale events planned for Christmas day were suspended across all the IDP camps located in KIO territory.
During the January 3rd event the KIO's chairman Lanyaw Zawng Hra delivered a speech in which he noted that real peace and a lasting ceasefire will only be possible through genuine political dialogue. The KIO chairman also criticized the Burma government's blocking international aid supplies to IDPs camps located in KIO territory. The government has blocked UN agencies from delivering food and other humanitarian aid to the KIO area for nearly three months. Lanyaw Zawng Hra called on people to inform the international community about the ongoing aid blockade affecting the IDP camps.
- တပ္နဲ႔အစိုးရ ဖယ္ဒရယ္ကိစၥ အဆင္သင့္ မရိွေသး (KNG TV) 16 Oct 2018
- ေဝဖန္ခံရသည့္ ‘Marit ai Maumwi Mausa’ ဗီြဒီယို ကိစၥ ကခ်င္အႏုပညာရွင္ အသင္းခ်ဳပ္ႏွင့္ ေတြ႔ဆုံ ေမးျမန္းျခင္း (Interview) 16 Oct 2018
- ျမစ္ၾကီးနား ညေစ်းတန္းသစ္ တြင္ ေရာင္းမေကာင္း (News) 16 Oct 2018
- ျမစ္ၾကီးနားျမိဳ႕နယ္ ေနရာအခိ်ဳ႕တြင္ လံုျခံဳေရးေၾကာင့္ မဲဆြယ္ခြင့္ မရ (News) 15 Oct 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ေက်ာက္စိမ္းတြင္း လံုျခံဳေရး ရဲမ်ားပစ္ခတ္မႈေၾကာင့္ ေရမေဆး ၁ ဦး ထိခုိက္ (News) 15 Oct 2018